Wednesday, April 25, 2012

My Textile and Fibre Craft Hero (Knitting and Crochet Blog Week 2012)

Today's theme should be 'My Knitting or Crochet Hero' but for me it needed to encompass the wider world of textiles and fibre craft. This isn't to say there are no members of the knitting and crochet world worthy of acclaim, there are several I could easily think of whose designs I like or whose blogs inspire me, but is simply that there is one woman who has stood out to me since childhood as the creative someone I would like to be like.

She isn't famous, she isn't rich or glamorous, I don't even know if she knits but she is inspirational. She's an school friend's Mum!

I haven't seen Elaine for 14 years but she still inspires me. Throughout my childhood and teens she was this amazing creative presence who was also a haven of calm. I remember, in a houseful of lively children, Elaine kneeling on the floor calmly cutting silk for a wedding dress and I'm almost certain it was without a pattern; it was as if the calm in the centre of a storm could pick up a paintbrush and paint a masterpiece.

That quiet, creative confidence is something I would love to acquire. To be able to pick up my needles and yarn and quietly knit away as inspiration takes me, regardless of the hubbub around me, that is the knitter I want to be.

2 comments:

  1. That's lovely, inspiration comes in lots of different ways...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a calm woman to exist in chaos so peacefully.

    ReplyDelete