Thursday, April 14, 2011

Raggle-Taggle Gypsy-o

So, I found a simple shawl pattern, a really simple shawl pattern; so simple in fact that in any other yarn I would have found it unsatisfying to knit.  This wasn't any other yarn though, this was my old friend Gypsy.  We started well, Gypsy and I were getting on just fine, I had visions of us dancing to the tambourine, wildly whirling round a bonfire but those visions are currently lying in dust.

Never count your chickens before they're hatched and never plan where you're going to wear a garment until it's completed.  About a third of the way into the shawl disaster struck.  Disaster in the shape of a sleek red tabby cat who torpedoed onto my lap like a bat out of hell, pulling several stitches from my needles in the process.  The cat promptly made himself comfortable and started to wash while I looked in dismay at the wreckage of my shawl.  I tried hard to work out how many stitches I'd dropped and to pick them back up but, well, fluff, lots of fluff, and I was tired.  In another yarn pehaps recovery might have been achieved but in Gypsy, the wrong side of midnight, I just couldn't do it.  Sadly I unravelled the remains of my shawl and wound Gypsy back into a ball, putting her back to bed in the safety of a paper bag.

What can I say?  The cat is forgiven, it would be impossible for the cat not to be forgiven, and I can start again with my shawl.  I'm trying not to view it as a knitting disaster. Rather, it's a serenity success; I admit I did swear once as it all went wrong but after that I calmly and quietly ravelled back and rewound my yarn without losing patience or getting upset... that counts as a success doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment